Thursday, June 12, 2008

To be like minded

Hi there everyone

Melissa Britton here! Trust you all are doing well?

I would like to raise the subject on friendships and whom you seek counsel.

Question: If you had a problem with your car will you take it to maybe a geographer whom knows nothing about cars or a motor mechanic who can tell you exactly what the problem is?

I am also reminded of the principle found in Amos. "Can two walk together, except they be agreed" (Amos 3:3). Friends are of like mind. A friend is one whom you can be yourself with and never fear that they will judge you or your family no matter what you tell them in private. A friend is someone that you can confide in with complete trust. A friend is someone you respect and that respects you, not based upon worthiness but based upon a likeness of mind.

This is something that troubled my heart for quite a while. Why are we as Christians so eager at making friends without really knowing what we need in each of those friendships, I have come across many people who have friendships where they seek counsel they feel is worthwhile and yet the friendship is not like minded.

For example, if I were to marry one day and start a family, I would try and refrain from influential friendship with people who are single, but counsel them instead. I wouldn’t want my future husband to have single friends either. It is all in the state of like mindedness that friendships build and get stronger.
Instead, we as a married couple will start obtaining friendships with other married couples or people who are married longer than us and either share what we are going through or have been where we are now with no judgment towards me my spouse or my family.

This is not only

God’s principles are the best way to live in a society that allows anything to go. We need to consider that we live but it’s not our lives, as Christians we are to abide by principles that God has set for us. It is a privilege to carry that name to remember that Christ is with in us and the question “What would Jesus do?”

Written by
Melissa Britton

No comments: